Friday, March 11, 2011

Fear of Flash

Recently I had a critically important realization that totally hadn't occurred to me before, so I'm mentioning it here in hopes that it will help someone else to do their research a little better than I did and save yourself some potential heartache.  As you know, both our ceremony and reception are happening at night - exactly the way we wanted - and both will take place in dimly lit rooms.  We *love* the ambiance of darkness, uplights, and candlelight.  And although I have been thinking about how to light the ceremony space to preserve the city lights view, I hadn't given much thought to what pictures in a darkened space would look like.  Needless to say, when I did start thinking about it, I panicked a little (lot). 

This is what I think of when I picture low-light photography.




Overexposed in the front, dark in the back with bright flash reflections.  Totally acceptable for casual pictures, but heaven help me if these are the images we have to remember our wedding day by.  Once that anxious thought set in, I didn't know what to do other than scour the internet for images of nighttime weddings.  I think I was trying to convince myself that it's possible to have lovely, high-quality images that are taken with very little ambient lighting.  Thank you, internet, for at least putting some of my fears to rest. 








Thank you, technological age, that most wedding vendors including our photographer maintain websites where you can look over their work (and then look over it again and again even after you've booked them because you love them and you need to remind yourself that you love them because they're awesome and it's going to be okay Ms. M take a deep breath the pictures will be fabulous).  *ahem*  Where was I?  Right, back to alleviating my anxiety.  So yes, a trip (or two or three) back to the photographer's online portfolio assured me that they have indeed shot weddings in varying nighttime/low-light situations and the pictures are still gorgeous. 



If only I had asked that to begin with!  A simple "What experience do you have shooting in low-light conditions and could you show us some sample pictures, please?" would have sufficed.  Then, no heartache necessary.  Oh, if only...  Thank goodness we seem to have gotten lucky this time.

Have you run into situations where you wish you'd asked questions earlier rather than later?  What were the questions and when did you realize you needed the answers?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, excellent post! Lighting is so important when it comes to great pictures. I think a great photographer can work wonders with any type of lighting though. Hopefully you get great pictures to last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.