Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Paper Mâché on Glass?

I recently took on a little home-beautifying project that was super simple, gave me exactly the look I wanted, and could potentially be useful for lots of various decorative purposes - including weddings, of course! 

{my two "paper-mâché" containers, in the background}

Let me backtrack a bit...  It all started when I got the most wonderful Christmas gift from Mr. NM. 

{Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer in Aqua Sky, aka "Martha Stewart Blue" - source}

I love love love the color, but unfortunately it didn't match the current brown/olive green color scheme of our kitchen.  So I went on a little search to find a few aqua-hued items to toss around the kitchen and pull it all together a bit.  After several (read: far too many) hours of searching online and in stores, the only thing I had to show for it was a couple packages of kitchen towels.  When I found that teal vase at Pier 1, I was smitten and I knew it would work perfectly, but I didn't think it would make enough of a statement by itself.  (Side note: Totally gonna brag on myself about that vase purchase here.  Had a really, really old gift card I'd been holding onto even though I had no idea how much was left on it.  Total out-the-door cost for this gorgeous vase:  $0.78!)

Then I had this thought that Michael's probably had some scrapbook paper in shades of aqua/teal, and I wondered if I could Mod Podge it onto some plain glass cylinders I'd seen at the store for pretty cheap.  For just a few dollars, I thought it couldn't hurt to try.  So I purchased 2 different sized cylinders and 2 sheets of scrapbook paper (not cardstock) and brought them home to experiment. 

First I tried just glueing the sheet straight onto the cylinder.  I trimmed the paper just a bit shorter than the height of the glass to account for the rounded edges on the top and bottom of the cylinder.  I applied Mod Podge to the entire sheet, thinking I'd just roll up the paper onto the cylinder.  Not the worst idea, but not the best either.  If I were doing this over again, I'd only apply it to the first two inches or so - enough to stick to the glass, but not all over.  Then I'd keep applying as I rolled the paper further onto the glass.

{Supplies: foam brush, Mod Podge, paper, and a nonstick mat}

Be careful to line up the edges while the glue is still wet, because once it starts drying you can't reposition it any longer.

{Here you can see the ripples in the paper caused by applying glue to the whole sheet all at once.  Oops!}

{Some ripples you can smooth out with your fingers,
but be careful not to peel off the paper in places like I did.  That's not fixable!}

Once the paper was lined up and adhered completely, I put more Mod Podge on top to seal it and cover up any texture imperfections caused by all my fingerprints.


{See how perfectly it coordinates with that gorgeous mixer...}

Then it was just a matter of wiping down the tiny slivers of exposed glass around the top and bottom edges. 

{Witness the areas of peeled paper.  Not as perfect as I like things, but whatareyougonnado?}

Next I wanted the second vase to be similar but a little different so it wasn't too matchy-matchy.  This time I used what I think of as the more traditional paper mâché method of layering strips on top of one another.  This method took WAY longer than the first. 

{same supplies, but now using strips of various widths}

Applying glue to one strip at a time I smoothed them onto the glass, criss-crossing them at different angles.  Sometimes I would need to trim strips that extended past the top or bottom.  I kept those scraps to fill in tiny holes later on. 

{not even halfway finished, and it got more complicated as I went} 

I decided to put straight strips around the top and bottom edges to "clean up" the design of the jagged top, but that's just a preference thing.

{bringing some order to the chaos}

Again, be sure to clean the edges and interior of any stray glue spots.  When I had them both finished, I vastly preferred the look of the first one - ya know, the one that took 1/4 the amount of time to complete.  Typical... 


And then I got curious as to what they might look like with candles inside them, so I gave it a shot using an ill-fitting pillar candle we had lying around. 

{Exhibit A}

{Exhibit B}

Umm...  I kinda think Exhibit B is rocktastic!  It might not be everyone's thing, but it's so bold and dramatic that it makes me swoon a little bit.  Just goes to show you how much difference lighting can make.  But even without the candle, I still like it when it's grouped with the other vases.  It gave our kitchen just the extra color and interest I was going for.


What projects have you taken on that you've been both a little "meh" and a little "yes!" about the results?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great idea! I have some different shaped bottles that I want to turn into vases. I just needed a little inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog
    and look forward to new updates.
    Feel free to visit my site ... WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this enormous paragraph to improve my know-how.
    my web page > Gambling

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that's equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the
    nail on the head. The issue is something which too
    few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy that I came across this in my hunt for something relating to this.

    Review my homepage :: new releases

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.