Saturday, February 12, 2011

An Epic Epiphany

I was reading back through some old posts the other day and there was one in particular that wasn't sitting well with me.  Yes, it's true that a lot of those photos were from colorful outdoor weddings, but that didn't seem to capture exactly what I was drawn to.  Although outdoor weddings are lovely, I've never really wanted to have one for myself.  And bright color palettes are super fun, but they're not our style. So what was the element that was pulling all these things together for me?


There was one word I wrote in that post that I didn't give much thought to at the time, but I now know that it really gets to the heart of the matter.  Here's what I said back in November:  "All these fun handmade details are saturated with color, color, and more color." 

Did you catch the critical word that I glossed over?  Sure you did, so why didn't I?  Of course - it's handmade! 



The very first blog post I ever wrote talked about all the DIY projects we hoped to accomplish to make our big day more personal and more affordable.  And isn't that the *essence* of what it means to be handmade?!  Yes yes and yes!  What we want is a handmade wedding.  A modern, urban loft-ish, fun, casual-chic, and HANDMADE wedding.

It goes without saying that we don't want it handmade à la  my 2nd grade art projects.  But we do want it handmade à la my creativity and meticulousness and Mr. NM's efficiency and willingness.  That's the epiphany I needed, that's what we're aiming for, that's the thread pulling it all together, and that's the way we're going to make this wedding ours.  Epic epiphany indeed...

{source}

What important wedding-shaping realizations have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.