Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dressing Those in Dresses

Things I am NOT excited about when it comes to planning this wedding:
1)  Dressing other people.
2)  Dressing myself.

They seem excited, so why aren't I?  {source}

I'll get to #2 later (Cuz people tend to think that's a big deal, right - that I'm not excited about finding a wedding dress?  Yeah, I thought so.  I'll give that topic it's very own post... later, when I can bring myself to think about it.)

But about #1, ugh!  It's stressful!  And it's stressful on multiple levels.  Partly it's stressful because it's unknown.  I mean, how many times in your life do you dictate to a group of people what they're going to wear?  (Well, maybe if you manage a place that has a dress code, or if you're the principal of a private school, or if you're a fashion designer, or...  *ahem*  Okay it's occurring to me that this might not be as rare as I thought.  But seriously if you are one those people, contact me because I really wanna know how you live with yourself!)  For me personally, there haven't been that many, if any, times where I've told other people what to wear.  And finding that perfect trifecta of attractive, convenient, and affordable seems utterly impossible at this point.

The other stressful part is that I know the dress choice matters.  It matters for the people wearing the dresses - yes, of course. But it also matters for the overall look of the ceremony and portraits.  I'm even going to go out on a limb and say that the wedding party outfits impact the overall look *significantly more* than the attire of those getting married, simply because there tend to be more of them.  Quantity = impact.  Disagree with me if you will, but that's my take on it.  So a bevy of charcoal gray floor-length dresses in matte, flowy fabrics conveys an entirely different aesthetic...



... than do shorter, more structured cobalt blue dresses in shiny fabric.



 My initial solution to reduce the dress stress was to pick a color family and let everyone choose their own dress within that color.  We would get a mixture of styles, fabrics, and colors that would make for a more eclectic mood.  Everyone could choose a dress they felt they could afford, and I wouldn't have to do a thing!  Done!  ... 



But not so fast, Ms. M.  Perhaps there's something good about having a more cohesive dress style, and there's certainly something appealing about making dress selection more convenient for your dress-wearers (for example - "Hey, go buy a dress at David's Bridal in the color pewter.  Thanks!")



As part of gathering information to make this decision, I went to DB to take a few pictures of the gray colors they offer and I also "picked up" (or, as I found out, had to purchase!) some fabric swatches.  (Which, by the way, they only carry in satin.  And the swatches cost $1.00 each.  Obviously not a deal-breaker, but I object primarily on principle!) 

{examples of pewter and silver colors with a big white dress}
I'm thinking I'll consult with my dress-wearers before I make any final decisions.  Or maybe I'll just continue to hem and haw and avoid this topic for another few months until someone finally forces me to do something different.  I don't know.  We'll see.

Were you excited about dictating attire for your wedding party?  How did you make a final decision about what they'd wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.