Sunday, November 21, 2010

What To Do With My Face

As you may have noticed in my previous posts, I have two facial piercings.  There's a tiny diamond nose ring I've had for about 5 years and an eyebrow ring I've had for 10 years.  (Yes, I am aware that *no one* has an eyebrow ring any more.  That's part of my dilemma...)  In general, I am completely oblivous to them.  And just for the record, I am not "alternative," at least appearance-wise, in any other way.  No tattoos, no zany wardrobe, no brightly colored hair.*   I work a professional job and no one has ever asked me about them in a job interview or any other work setting (take that, Mom!). 


{both piercings on display, albeit a larger eyebrow ring than I have now}

A few years ago, on a total whim, I decided I'd outgrown my eyebrow ring and I took it out of my face for the very first time ever.  And I freaked the eff out!  I didn't recognize my face anymore.  I started crying, and I called Mr. NM to ask for his help in putting it pack in (a story in its own right).  After that experience I've twice decreased the size of the ring to make it less conspicuous, and I'm pretty happy with how it looks now.  (The nose ring is so teensy that most people don't notice it anyway, so I hardly ever think about it.)When I ask my friends about it, they all tell me that they love it, they can't imagine me without it, and that it's super unique and "Ms. M-esque" because few other people have eyebrow piercings right now.  But I've always had the nagging sense that someday I'd feel "too old" or "too professional" or "too uninterested in piercings," and I'd take it out for good. 

I never considered that I might feel "too bride-y" for my eyebrow ring - but I kinda do.  Although I have no idea of the kind of image I want to project of myself on our wedding day, I'm not positive that an eyebrow ring will fit the image.  On the other hand, I honestly can't imagine taking it out and not having that very visible piece of myself present on such a big day.  I mean, I literally don't have a single picture of myself without my eyebrow ring since I was... wait for it...  19 years old!  How would I react to having ALL of our wedding pictures feature me without the eyebrow ring?

Here's a photoshopped before-and-after I did so you can see what my gorgeous face looks like without my statement piercing:


{before and after}
 So my wedding question to you is, do I stick with the face I've known for 10 years, or do I take the plunge now so I can get used to it before the wedding?  And if you've had a similar question for yourself, how did you ultimately decide what to do?

*Not that there's anything wrong with having an "alternative" appearance, obviously - even in a professional setting.  I'm sure as hell alternative in other ways and couldn't be prouder of that!

1 comment:

  1. Of course, I think you're beautiful either way, but I think you should stick to what seems most "you" to you. If that means an eyebrow ring, then go for it! --Luke

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.