Friday, October 1, 2010

We Interrupt This Blog To Bring You... OUTRAGE!

Last night I was just minding my own business, watching some Project Runway (or "PR," as we call it), when out of the blue I was struck livid by the most obnoxious, disheartening, offensive show preview ever.  I was so incensed I couldn't freakin' stand myself, couldn't even go back to PR until I deep-breathe-d my way back into a less pissed off state of mind. 

What was it that fanned me into a forest fire, you ask?  It had to do with these people and their tv show:



{source}
Voiceover (with words on the screen):  How I Learned to Plan My Wedding

[Cut to this male and female couple sitting across the table from their male friend.]

Male in Couple:  "Fancy ballroom.  Everybody all dressed up."

Female in Couple:  "Agh...  (rolls eyes)  Here we go."

Male in Couple:  "Excuse me if I don't wanna get married barefoot in the woods next to Lake No-one's-gonna-drive-that-far.  I want a ballroom.  And I want a band.  I've been dreaming about this day since I was like...

Female in Couple:  (interrupting) "A little girl?"

Male Friend Across The Table:  "What up!"  (high fives the female)


... um, yeah ...



WTf'inF?!?!  Why oh why oh *why* is it not okay for men to care about their weddings?  Why can't men have preferences and wishes and dreams for their wedding day the way a woman can?  Why is it that weddings are considered solely a woman's domain, and then when a woman actually does care deeply about her wedding she then gets labeled as a bridezilla?  I mean... seriously!  Talk about a lose-lose for all parties involved. 

I'm feeling tizzified all over again just writing this out.  And I'm so sorry, but I don't have a pretty ribbons-and-bows wrap-up for this post.  Anyone have any suggestions for how they've made peace with the messed up socialization patterns around weddings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.