Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Recommend Unemployment

The ugly-but-somewhat-fortunate truth is that I've had two periods of unemployment within the past year.  I finished my post doc and received my Psychologist license in August of 2009, then I was unemployed for four months while I was looking for a full-time job.  What I found instead of a full-time job was a temporary job that ran from January through June, then I was unemployed again from mid-June through the end of August.  Now I'm working another temporary job that will last until June of 2011, at which point there's a good chance I will again be unemployed from mid-June through the end of August. 

Of course everyone knows the financial downside to being unemployed, and that certainly is true for me as well.  I have a private practice in addition to my 40-hour/week job but it's still growing and isn't yet sufficient to sustain me financially.  So that's the ugly truth about unemployment.  There is a silver lining, though! 



I found that unemployment quickly becomes fUNemployment when you spend some of that extra time wedding planning!  I had a ridiculous number of hours to sift through millions of wedding blog posts, wedding magazines, and wedding books to get *so many* amazing ideas.  There's been ample time to gather craft supplies and practice various techniques to learn what will and won't be a possibility for our wedding crafts.  I've been able to research lots of various options to better understand what can realistically be accomplished within our budget.  Hell, I've even had enough time to plan a whole wedding in my mind and then let go of that wedding in favor of an altogether different wedding style!

As if that weren't enough, here's the biggest advantage I can see to all this unemployement.  In the summer of 2011 (several months before the wedding), I'll have the luxury of mandatory time off work to focus on what would otherwise become last-minute projects!  Seriously people, seriously - how lucky am I?! 




These are the things I remind myself of when I get discouraged about finances, job prospects, and wedding budgets.  So you see, unemployment isn't all doom and gloom if you just look at it from the right perspective. 



What lemons have you been able to turn into lemonade during your wedding planning process?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.